Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MSEB Online payment

When I first found the MSEB online payment site (www.mahadiscom.com), I was too happy. The MSEB bill payments used to be nuisance and I used to forget to pay the bill every alternate month. Well, there are other pill payment avenues such as ICICIBank but what I like about MSEB site is that you can track the payment history and look at the past statistics about consumption and payments.

But the joy did not last long since the website stopped working for me a few days later. It took me few days to figure out that the site works on Windows. Surprisingly, it wasn't the usual IE vs Firefox issue because the site did not work from Windows VM running on Linux. Today, I got annoyed and used our friend Google to see if others are facing this issue and that's when I saw this interesting post: http://siddhesh.livejournal.com/14920.html

Yes, that's true!! It's the MTU of the ethernet card which is causing the issue. Set it to something like 1400 or even lesser (instead of the standard 1500) and the site starts working like a charm! (No need to restart the network or the browser)

# ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1400

It's wierd though. Now there is yet another variable to play with when websites don't work seemlessly on all platforms, browsers :-(

2 comments:

NikhilS said...

You are supposed to WORK from home. Not solve such mysteries :P. Good one though!

Pavan Deolasee said...

:-) Your "reader" seems to be off by a day.