Wednesday, April 16, 2008

GPRS on FC8

Never thought it will be so simple to use my GPRS enabled cell phone to connect to the Internet when I am booted in Fedora Core 8. But its just a two step process. Not only that, the speed is decent, much better than my Reliance data card. Here is an example for my Sony K550i handset and Idea connection; others can easily figure out the phone number, username, password and DialCommand from their service provider:

1. Copy the following in your /etc/wvdial.conf file

[Dialer Defaults]
DialCommand = AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP’’,’’INTERNET’’
SetVolume = 0
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 115200
FlowControl = Hardware(CRTSCTS)
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0

[Dialer Idea]
Username =
Password =
Phone = *99#


2. Now login as root and just type:

# wvdial Idea

Look at the output message; copy the DNS entry into your /etc/resolv.conf file and you should be already connected.

Of course, I am assuming you have got your GPRS activated from the service provider. Also if you are planning to use it often, I would recommend a decent GPRS package. I am paying Rs 250 p.m. for 750 MB - decent enough for my usage.

No comments: